r00t WaRz rules
Please read this so you won't sue us later
What the hell is "r00t WaRz"?
That's what root WaRz is! We wire up the hotel, run cable to your hotel room
(or let you set up in the con room), and then you get to try all those wonderful
little 'sploits & scripts you downloaded from
rootshell & didn't dare try in the real world for fear of a midnight visit
by agents of various TLAs (Three Letter Agencies). Survival of the fittest,
hack or be hacked. See what your MSCE is *really* worth; can you keep that 14yo
Linux freak out of your NT server?
EXTRA UBER-L33T BONUS!
This year we've added an extra special twist to r00t WaRz: s/he who controls
the most machines, especially those belonging to others, is the Presiding
BOfH until someone
else else achives greater computing power. The Presiding BOfH may carry the
Presidential LART (my 125 Louisville Slugger), which entitles him/her to free
beer until ejected from office.
- Do not physically damage any systems.
- There will be a list (by IP address) of r00t WaRz participants on the wall
by the con room check-in desk; do not hack other systems on the LAN.
- Limit hacking to PhreakNIC systems; do not hack outside systems.
We will cheerfully beat you senseless and turn you over to one of the three
undercover FBI agents assigned to monitor PhreakNIC if you do something stupid.
- whitehouse.gov and *.mil count as "doing something stupid".
- If you hack outside systems, do not tell us about it; we don't want to know
(it's called "plausable deniability").
- Do not disconnect network cables on the LAN.
- Do not crash the LAN, if you can help it.
- Do not wipe another system's drives unless the owner says it's okay.
- If you do not want your drives wiped, put a "DO NOT WIPE" sign on your computer, your login screens,
- At the end of the con, or when you or your victim(s) decide to no longer participate in r00t Wars,
please explain what you did & how you did it.
- Move your valuable data off your computer BEFORE participating in r00t WarZ.
- Plan on wiping your drives & reinstalling your OS when you get home.
- You participate at your own risk, and may not hold anyone (including con organizers and/or
participants) liable for any dataloss.
- Do not participate if you do not agree with or understand the above statements.
- Signing our release (written by a pack of rabid lawyers) indicates that
you both understand and agree with the above statements.
- You will not be allowed to participate in r00t Wars unless the release is
An electronic version of the release is available for review;
hardcopies will be available at the convention.
Sorry for all the legal BS, but we need to protect ourselves from idiots.